Wednesday, March 30, 2011

3, 2, 1....Ignition.

To start, I will apologize. 


It seems strange to begin a blog with an apology. Considering that I (generally speaking) am not really a person who has too terribly much to apologize about, this might come as a surprise to those of you who know me better than I'd really like (I'm talking to you, Courtney, Janelle, Mom, Dad, etc.).


I'm going to apologize because I know that this is going to be a grueling and arduous process. I'm not a "write daily and learn from it" writer. Mostly, I just talk my ass off and forget about what I say later on. I figure this... I want to be a writer. I want to write for pay. I want to write about things I enjoy and things I hate, and things I have opinions about (which are most things, mind you). I figure this... In order to be a writer, to write for pay and to write about things I enjoy and hate (and things I have opinions about), I need to be able to articulate myself more clearly and to learn myself as a writer (and to avoid run-on sentences). 


Now, this isn't really something that I've ever been bad at, so to speak, but I need practice.


Hell, every writer needs practice...right?


Truth is, I don't want to be like every writer. And I know that that statement can be considered invalid, considering that no writer really is the same. We are not all unique fingerprints, though. We do not all have a style of writing that expresses who we are while maintaining a level of intrigue and wonder. Many times, a writer must depend on content rather than style and syntax to draw readers in. I don't want that. 


I want to be able to write in a way that allows me to post about disinteresting things without dropping readers like hot plates. I don't want to be known for how cute my blog is and "oh look at that adorable puppy!" or because I coined an awesome phrase or use really annoying abbreviations like "presh" and "deets." I want my blog to convey that while it may look simple, it has meaning. I want to be a thumb print, a snowflake, a leopard's spot.


This blog is going to be my proverbial "baby."


I will nurture it. I will tend to it. I will give it what it needs, and I will give it what I think it wants. 
In essence, I will spoonfeed my readers to near oblivion with....stuff. 
Don't like oysters? Tough, I'm going to talk about oysters, and I may very well post pictures of oysters.


I think that is one the curses of writing a blog. I think that you write what you write and that not every single person who reads will be interested or intrigued. I'm not here at blogger.com to write what people want to read. But I want you to read what I write because you might disagree with my opinion, or you might pity me for being ignorant about some things. I want you to read what I have to say because I am making an effort to have it known.


That being said, despite not being a people-pleaser, I hope I don't bore you to tears.




Note to self: use fewer cliches.