Saturday, November 26, 2011

Friends stab you in the front...or something like that.

Do you ever just have one of those days when anything remotely emotional sends you into a bout of tears?

Maybe I can chalk it up to being premenstrual (sorry, guys, but it's probably the truth), but something has...well, ignited in me today. I have honestly started crying about six or seven times. Obviously, I haven't stopped to count how many times I actually let the waterworks go, but that's beside the point. Anyway, it started this afternoon when I was watching reruns of So You Think You Can Dance. In season seven, Kent Boyd and Neil Haskell dance a contemporary piece choreographed by Travis Wall.

I'm posting the video from Youtube of the whole piece, but for those who don't want to watch it, I'll explain. The story behind the dance goes a little like this...

Two friends, lifelong and seemingly loyal, begin to grow apart. One of the young men (in this, played by Kent) discovers his friend (played by Neil) has done something to betray him. A scuffle ensues, arguments, altercations, whatnot of the like. In the end of the dance, the two seem to have accepted that their bridge has burnt and that the likeliness of a reunion is slim to none.

When I first saw the dance last year, I hardly thought of it as anything more than a pretty (albeit raw) twirl across a floor. I never thought that the pain striking across poor Kent's face when Neil stabs him in the back would ever register across my own. I won't go into any painstaking details as it's personal and very probably improper to discuss it via the internet, but I've recently come to a reevaluation of my friendships with a certain few people.

This year has been mandated by some grace of the universe for burning bridges. Several of my friends who I was close to are no longer friends anymore. It takes quite a bit to upset me, but as most of you know, I'm a loyal person. I believe in second chances and practice giving them infinitely. I don't like to give up on relationships; it has always been hard for me to do that.

Anyway, without further ado, I present Kent Boyd and Neil Haskell's contemporary piece chronicling the demise of a long lasting friendship.